Yesterday I had a conversation with my mom. She was telling me about a business venture my future brother-in-law is interested in starting but didn’t have the money or even know where to begin.
I immediately realized that I hadn’t taken the time to explain, even to my own family, what exactly Marketing Diva is and does! (Shameless Plug — we help business owners and future business owners start a business or grow their current business) I placed a call to my sister. I had to get some details about this business venture and I had to give her some information.
First and foremost, you don’t need a thick wallet to start a business. Secondly, you have to start somewhere. Thirdly, starting a business is just like deciding to have a child, if you wait until you have time or money, you’ll never do it! So don’t wait until you have thousands of dollars to start a business.
I’m sure you’re sitting there reading this and saying I have lost my mind! Don’t be so sure. 10 years ago I started Marketing Diva (different brand and name at the time), with nothing more than a computer and an idea (AND NO MONEY!). Heading into our 10th year in business, Marketing Diva has grown, evolved, and is thriving in a struggling economy.
So how exactly do you start a business with nothing more than a computer and an idea. Let me lay it out for you!
1) You need a plan. You need to know what you want to accomplish and start small. Build out a 3 month, 6 month, 12 month, 3 year, 5 year and 10 year plan. WRITE IT DOWN!
2) You need some goals. What do you want to do by certain dates. WRITE IT DOWN!
3) Get a website. Even if it’s a crappy, free website (they do exist — I don’t recommend them for long term, but short term and tight on money, they will suffice). BUT I do recommend, set a goal to get a professional, more detailed and more appropriate website within a certain time frame.
4) Get some business cards. We have biz cards for $30 (1,000) or get them from somewhere. just get them. Cheapest marketing you will ever get for your business. After every conversation you have, give them your card (and get theirs – or their information at the least!)
5) Start talking to those who can help and support your goals. Potential customers or clients. Potential partners. Schedule some coffee meetings.
6) Jump on the Social Media Bandwagon. It’s FREE, it’s got an easy learning curve, and there are plenty of tools out there to help you get started. Including our Social Media Blog.
7) Use every FREE tool or document you can get your hands on. Search the web for guides, how tos, FREE consultations, anything to help you feed your information bank.
8) Start a project on kickstarter. This will help get you some cash flow for some items you may need to purchase to start a business.
All of the above, are steps to help you invest in your future and build your dream, ALL for under $100. So what are you waiting for? Get out there and turn that dream into reality, it is time to start a business.